I've been going back and forth with this one for months... and I think I've finally figured out my thoughts on this foundation stick from Tom Ford. I'm liking it lately, but I don't quite love it. :(
SInce I've been mentally weighing the pros and cons of this one for weeks, I thought it might be useful (for me too) to lay things out in that format. Maybe I'll come to a more conclusive decision by the end of this post?
What I Love
- The packaging: it's so easy to handle and pretty to look at!
- The coverage: it can definitely be medium coverage if applied all over the face. The Tom Ford Cream Foundation Brush really helps to maximize coverage.
- The texture: so smooth and creamy. YAY! Possibly the creamiest one out there??
What I'm Not Sure About (Still!)
- The finish: depending on my skin and what tool I use to apply it, I'm not always loving the finish. (ie, with fingers or a Beautyblender, it is not cute.) However, with the above mentioned Tom Ford brush and a bit of that Marc Jacobs Coconut Primer underneath, this has a nearly skin-like, flawless finish which I am loving. So confusing, right?
- The ease of use: foundation sticks are my "OMG I'm so late and my skin looks terrible and I can't look like this right now" product. (LOL) Given how I prefer to apply this with a brush, I'm not really sure that it is serving its purpose as a foundation stick! Although, I suppose I do like that I don't have to touch the product while applying it, which makes for a faster morning.
- The wear time: this is another inconsistency depending on how and what I apply it with. With the Marc Jacobs primer and Tom Ford brush, it seems to wear all day (and perhaps all night too!) but without it, I don't know what it is doing. It seems to get patchy in dry spots and break down with oils - neither of which look pretty at the end of a day! (Your experience may be better than mine, as my skin has apparently decided to be bipolar or something lately, ha!)
What I Don't Love
- The price: duh, this one just makes me cringe. While I wouldn't die over spending this much on a regular foundation that I really loved, the thought of this one being this price is just... sad!
- The shade selection: hello, confused girl over here! Why is shade 4 Bisque appear darker than shade 5 Natural (which I have here?) And considering that shades 4 and 5 are squarely in the light-medium area of the spectrum, those with lighter skin literally have 3 choices. Considering that, the choices for deeper skintones aren't so bad, though I'm not sure there will be an appropriate shade for me in the summer once I've gotten some sun... Ugh!
All in all, I wouldn't say that this one is a must have. At this price point, it would have to be perfect for me to say so! Based on my recent successes with it, I think I'll keep it, but I don't think I would purchase it again.
Have you tried this or any other foundation from Tom Ford? How did they work for you? I'd love to know! :)